Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Poached Eggs with Tomato and Avocado and Having No A Key


A while ago now there was a bit of a disaster when it came to my computer. My A key decided that it didn't want to work any more. It wasn't that I lost the key... it just stopped functioning one day. I've kept it. I carry it around with me in my purse and I'm sure I'll get it fixed one day. Until then, I've been making things work as best I can. I've been copy and pasting the offending letter when necessary, and I've tried to avoid starting any sentence with it's capitalized version.

This makes me seriously reconsider when I'm writing an article or an email how I start it and what its subject matter is. It seems so silly, but it does make for a lot of extra work. It bothers me but since I'm super frugal, I'm making do.

Since we are a frugal household, we tend to eat in more often than not. We might go out to dinner once a month or so, but that is all. Sometimes, I find myself craving going out for breakfast, eating something out of the ordinary that someone else made.

This was how I felt when I got up today, but instead of making my normal poached egg on toast I decided to rummage around and do things a little differently.

I adore avocado, and I really adore eggs benedict, but my healthy guy isn't really into the hollandaise sauce that goes with it and we rarely have bacon on hand. So today for breakfast I made a delicious concoction of avocado, tomato and poached egg on an English muffin. It was both the same and different, healthy and tasty, and could be easily pumped up with sauce and bacon if you so decided.

I douse John's with Hot Sauce and leave mine plain. The yolk from the egg sauces the plate quite nicely.

Poached Eggs with Tomato and Avocado

2 Eggs
1 Avocado
1 Tomato
1 English Muffin
Salt and Pepper
Hot Sauce (optional)

So many people have different methods for poaching eggs. For me, I take a small saucepan and fill it with water and a little salt. Then, I boil the water and once it's boiling I turn it down really low and add a nice splash of white vinegar. Then, I crack in the eggs and let them sit for about three to four minutes. I then take them out with a slotted spoon. I like the yolk runny and the whites set.

Cut the English muffin in half and toast it. Then top this with sliced tomato, and some salt and pepper. Then, cover with sliced avocado, more salt and pepper, then top with the poached egg and season a little more. If you like it spicy, add some hot sauce.

If you like to add bacon for texture, go for it, and hollandaise too if you want.

Makes breakfast for one if you like a large breakfast, or two if you would like it lighter.

Here's hoping that I don't make a recipe with so many a's in it any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment