Friday, February 17, 2012

Whilst I Am Not Cooking


Still not much time for me in the kitchen, though I did have the fabulous Myles over for brunch. I made a Goat Cheese, Tomato and Spinach Quiche similar to the recipe found here. He made biscuits and Man Hash Browns, which are made just like normal hash browns except that you use Bacon Grease instead of oil or butter and you have to make them in a cast iron skillet. Delicious.

When I have a few minutes in the evening I generally pull out the cookbook that I am currently reading. I read cookbooks like novels, and I keep little post it tabs next to my bed so I can mark recipes that I like. Right now, I'm reading Girl in the Kitchen by Stephanie Izard. I've always been a huge fan of Stephanie's since she became the first woman to win Top Chef, but I have to say I don't love her book yet. I was a good 100 pages in before I marked a single recipe to try. It seems like every blurb about a dish references one of her restaurants... it doesn't tell me about where the food came from. I'm just not feeling the soul. But I'm sticking with it and hopefully I'll see what I'm looking for soon.

If I were in my kitchen, these are the things that I would want to make right now:

Chocolate Orange Pots de Creme from Pioneer Woman

*Update! I did make these, though I left out the Grand Marnier and topped them with white chocolate mousse and then a peppermint whipped cream. This recipe came together remarkably easily, and I hope to tweak it and share my layered version soon.

Greek Lemon Chicken from Everybody Likes Sandwiches

Butter Pecan Shortbread from Bake or Break

Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Vegetable and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from David Lebovitz

*Update. I made this! I really loved it, though I found it a little heavy on the tahini. I'd back that off next time and use a touch more lemon.

Cheezy Jalapeno Pull Bread from Simply Recipes


What are some other recipes that you've seen lately but haven't had time to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment